Tuesday 1 March 2011

Ode to the Eggplant

If anyone were to ask me what my favourite vegetable was, I would fearlessly (Yes! much to the derision of a LOT of people, I know!!) reply that it is the eggplant. I am obsessed with the eggplant and I have no qualms about admitting it.
It is one of the most versatile vegetables, used to concoct mouthwateringly brilliant dishes in almost all the different cuisines I've tasted until now. You name any region in the world, and there will be more than 10 splendid ways that the eggplant is cooked there.
Eggplant parmesan, bharli vangi, baghare baigan, baigan bharta, begun bhaja, eggplant in hot garlic sauce, babaghanoush,vangi bhaat, burani raita...oooh my mouth has already started to water and I have this overwhelming need to go rustle up something with eggplants and torture my poor husband!!

4 comments:

  1. While I am a hardcore carnivore, I must admit to sharing your fondness for the eggplant. Being a South Indian, my favourite eggplant recipes are from there, the bagala baingan from Hyderabad, and my mom's masala stuffed whole roasted eggplants as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I must say that this is an excellent way to start your blog. After reading this I feel like having Baigan NOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chelsea Dagger - Please get me the recipe for your mom's whole roasted eggplants, if you can...they sound divine!

    @Purple Haze - Hahahahahhaha...I have some for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your baingan affair. I have one too! Eating baba ganough today

    ReplyDelete