Thursday 26 May 2011

My first recipe post

Of course, it had to be eggplants (did you actually think otherwise?!), considering how crazy I am about them!! I adore Hyderabadi Baghare Baigan and today, I'll share the recipe I follow while cooking them. They taste equally awesome with steamed rice, parathas, chappatis; you name it and it goes well with Baghare Baigan.

Baghare Baigan Recipe

* 500 gms eggplants/brinjals, (small green ones work the best)
* Pulp of walnut-sized tamarind, soaked in 1 cup water; Or use 2 tsps of readymade tamarind paste
* 10 garlic cloves
* 6 garlic cloves, chopped
* 1 inch piece of ginger
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1 tsp cumin seeds
* 2 tsp coriander seeds
* 2 tsp sesame seeds
* 2 tsp poppy seeds
* 12 peanuts
* 2 tsp shredded dry coconut
* ½ tsp chilli powder
* ½ tsp turmeric powder
* 4-5 tbsp oil
*10 curry leaves
* 2 whole  red chillies
* Salt to taste
* 1/4 tsp sugar

Method:

1. Roast sesame seeds, coriander seeds, poppy seeds, peanuts, shredded coconut, cumin seeds and chopped onion. Add a few drops of oil and grind it all to a paste.
2. Grind ginger, garlic, chilli powder and turmeric powder to a paste. Add tamarind pulp.
3. Mix both pastes; add salt to taste and the sugar. Mix well and set aside.
4. Slit the eggplants into 4, but keep the stem intact.
5. Stuff eggplants with the paste.
6. Heat oil, add chopped garlic, whole red chillies and curry leaves. Saute for a minute.
7. Add stuffed eggplants.
8. Cover and cook on low heat until tender.

Go on, try the recipe and see how my words come true. :) Good luck! Do get back to me with feedback.

2 comments:

  1. Yumm!!! This sounds amazing.
    I actually met someone who likes eggplants just as much (I dare not say more than you). And he is actually growing eggplants in his vegetable patch! Heard that you can grow eggplants in a potted plant. You should try. It will be a great success - you can eat fresh, seedless, pesticide-free eggplants at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh..then that is next on my agenda! Though I fear my husband may just go on a hunger strike after that!!

    ReplyDelete