Monday 4 July 2011

July 4th

Happy July 4th! Ohh, I miss the barbeques definitely...The grilled corn-on-cob; the barbequed chicken drumsticks; the chicken and turkey burgers; grilled vegetables; tall jugs of iced lemonade and colas; fresh and brilliantly coloured salads, bursting with flavours...and an overall, faintly charred smell in the air. 

I miss barbeques, especially the one where my sister and I handled all the barbequeing and quite successfully, if I may say so! We've always had fun cooking together (even if she now insists she didn't like playing the sous-chef to my chef!!) but this particular July 4th was special. We had made two separate marinades (one was an oriental marinade with soy sauce, oyster sauce, fresh grated ginger, crushed garlic, a bit of honey and some sesame; the other one was standard tandoori, with yogurt, garlic and tandoori masala, for the Indian element!) for the chicken. There was another one for the vegetables with yogurt base. We had placed the marinated veggies in aluminium pouches with tonnes of cheese; these we had grilled in the oven. They turned out to be quite lovely, warm and gooey, oozing cheese. There was tons of corn of course and a couple of varieties of salad. Chicken, turkey and soy burgers for those who wanted some bread with their meat. I think there were also some baby potatoes, grilled in the oven with butter, sage and rosemary. But  again, that could also have been another time!
 
For those who are fond of salads, please do read this article.
And this one seems too lovely not to try.
This one has ideas for what combinations you could use for grilling and the recipes to use. 

4 comments:

  1. I miss it too! Remember the amount of effort we had put into that event. So much food. We had also made a taco salad. It was glorious. I now want to taste all those flavors - instantly, if you please. Where is Harry Potter, time travel, apparation, portkeys, when you need them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm hungry, Flava Flav. We should try and set up a barbeque here in good old Bombay. On someone's terrace maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Itishree Yes, I do remember. Taco Salad!!! That was it...I couldn't remember what salads we had made. Thank you. :)

    @Naresh Yep, a toast!

    @Chelsea Dagger Oh thats a great idea! But then again, wouldn't it be too hot?

    ReplyDelete