Monday 23 May 2011

Uncle John

Ok, so I managed to locate Uncle John, he of the fabled 'Sernyaa'. The news around the block is that the little Tibetan restaurant has another branch and Uncle John has shifted there. This place is in Malad West, at the Chincholi Bunder Junction, not very difficult to find. The restaurant remains the same: tiny place with 5 tables, same menu, brightly coloured plates, and even some of the original staff. The food also remains the same, awesomely delicious. And Uncle John is around to make conversation and suggest dishes you should try.

If you haven't figured out till now, I adore 'Sernyaa'. The original restaurant, which is now under renovation, is located near Infinity Mall in Andheri West. It has been a continuing source of enjoyment and delicious food (momos leading the rest of the contingent) over the past 5 years that I've been in Mumbai. But off late, I had been a little unhappy with their declining standard of hygiene. The place would smell dank whenever you visited and the A/C wouldn't work sometimes. They wouldn't have anything to drink (the place doesn't serve any alcohol; I refer here to the 'soft' drinks). The wait staff would not understand your orders. And of course, Uncle John had gone missing. 

The new location of 'Sernyaa' was good enough to remind me of the old days of glory of this Tibetan restaurant. I hope Uncle John's indpenedent venture works out for him and though I would hate to wait, I hope this 'Sernyaa' gets popular enough where people are lining up outside to eat here.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Flavours,
    I am missing the deliciousness of Sernyaa tremendously on this cold, rainy evening in North America. May steaming heaps of bamboo rice appear magically in front of me! May Uncle John improve his cleanliness standards and continue the glorious food tradition. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Itishree Amen to that, alright!!

    ReplyDelete