Wednesday 29 June 2011

Yogurt tales

I just found an old recipe book that I had in my collection, but had never really noticed it. While sifting through it, came across two recipes, one for Dal Makhmali and the other for Sukhe Channey, where the author had used yogurt while boiling the dal and the channey respectively. Is this a usual thing? I've never heard of this practise. When you pressure cook raw channey with yogurt, does it not curdle? Even if it doesn't, what is the purpose of adding yogurt at the boiling stage when the main function of yogurt is as a souring agent in the recipe? 


2 comments:

  1. Hmm.. yogurt is used as a tenderizer for meats. But to use it while boiling daals, sounds curious. We should ask Mta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Itishree You think she would know? I've never seen her using this trick.

    ReplyDelete