Thursday 11 October 2012

All things pan Asian

So recently, my friend Chelsea Dagger and I went to the neighbourhood pan-Asian restaurant, Nom Nom. Now you know my love for Southeast Asian cuisine (I'm sure Mainland China in Andheri and Global Fusion in Bandra could testify to this!). I could actually eat it every day of the week and not get bored. Honestly. And I had been wanting to go to Nom Nom for some time. You know, now that I think of it, at any given time, I have a list of restaurants (newly opened, old, never frequently or frequently visited) in my head that I'd like to go eat at. But I guess that would make another post. For now, Nom Nom.

The dim, golden lit interiors and dark furniture of the place go very well with the kind of cuisine on the menu. The menu itself seems a well balanced mix of famous dishes from across Southeast Asia - basically, representing the countries of Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, and Indonesia. The place is slightly expensive but the selection of dishes on the menu totally makes up for it. They have sushi and according to Chelsea Dagger that alone is sufficient to draw crowds.

For appetizers, we ordered the Bird Chilli Prawns which turned out to be delicious - fat prawns, deep-fried and cooked in the most wonderful spicy sauce. For the main course, we decided to go with the Chicken Phad Thai and the Burmese Khao Suey. Both were yummy. Basically, I feel like you really cannot go wrong with a Phad Thai - the essential elements of peanuts and lime make it just a perfect combination of sweet, crunchy, sour, bits of chicken, slurpy rice noodles, gooey sauce. Nom Nom's Phad Thai did justice to that.

The Burmese Khao Suey
 
I've had really good Khao Suey and Nom Nom's didn't disappoint either. I do feel that the portions of their accompanying condiments fall a bit short in quantity when compared to the sauce and rice noodles. I mean the portion sizes are good, but the condiments run short by the end. The sauce was a perfectly balanced concoction of coconut milk and spices, so that it didn't become too sweet or too heavy at any point of time.

This is a place I would definitely want to return to. There are a lot of other dishes on their menu that I would like to try out - Spicy Pork with Hot Basil Leaves, Tiger Prawns Robatayaki, Chicken Koh Samul and others too I'm sure. Well, maybe this weekend....or maybe even tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment