Saturday 19 January 2013

New Discovery

So recently, we discovered an awesome restaurant in our neighbourhood. I mean I'm sure the place has existed for some time; we just came across it recently. I mean I didn't even know this place was famous amongst the food bloggers until I looked it up, that too once I was seated inside the restaurant

Located in the heart of Borivali, past the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, is this tiny little no-frills place called 'Pangat'. The biggest landmark to this place is the huge pomfret-in-a-plate sculpture on its wall outside. The feel of the place is very reminiscent of 'Highway Gomantak' except that 'Pangat' serves Konkani and Malvani food. It gets really busy on a weekend and a lot of people usually hang outside for their takeaway orders as well.

We called for a fish thali, a tandoori pomfret and a kombdi-vade (the latter two on the recommendation of some reviews that I read). And while the service was not very good, the food more than made up for it. The tandoori pomfret was one of the best I've had in a while - my only grouse (and I know I'm being a bit picky here) was the orange colour, used frequently in the tandoori masala, that stained our hands after the fish was long gone. The kombdi-vade was par excellence. And the fish thali gave that warm, homey feeling.



We really liked the place - in fact, we went down to 'Pangat' the following week as well, sticking to these three items on the menu. Its definitely a recommended place for fish-lovers and those who adore the flavours of Konkani and Malvani cuisines. Plus, the damage to the pocket is very little. Overall, great value for money. And yes, there's also a giant crab sculpture, just across from the front-desk.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. @Itishree,kombdi means chicken in Marathi and vade is a type of multigrain poori - kombdi-vade means chicken curry served with multigrain pooris. At 'Pangat', this chicken curry is yummy.

      Delete