Friday 11 March 2011

Restaurant Update

I got so excited when I read about this South African restaurant (I won't mention the name) that had opened in Andheri. It had been mentioned in a magazine that I was reading this morning, and I thought, "Finally! Andheri is getting something that SoBo doesn't have". So, I opened up Mumbai Burrp to check if someone had done a review on it and I found, to my dismay, that it had received very negative reviews. Apparently (and I haven't had a chance to personally check it out, I am going just by the reviews I read), for all the hype about it being a South African restuarant, the only thing remotely 'African' about it is the decor.
The menu is, shamefully, an all inclusive Indian-Thai-Chinese mish-mash with 'Paneer Tikka' featuring on the appetizers section, 'Manchow Soup' in the soups and the ubiquitous 'Paneer Butter Masala' and 'Dal Makhani' following in the main course. Whatever be the current demographics of South Africa, if you say you are opening a 'South African' restaurant in town, I don't expect it to serve a predominantly Indian fare.
Oh! I'm so disappointed and a little embarrassed too. Actually, I tried convincing my husband this morning to take me to this place and he didn't think the restaurant could serve genuine South African food (he's actually been to the country). So, I guess I'll have to be content in eating my humble pie and nothing else.

2 comments: