Monday 28 March 2011

Expending Good Karma Through Food

Ahhhh...glorious food! I think I live from weekend-to-weekend, strictly. Reason? Well, weekends are for going out and eating, trying out new restaurants and cuisines and basically, spending up the good karma that you have accumulated over the week, from disciplined eating and exercising.

This weekend was no different. My father was here in Mumbai, visiting us. All the more reason for us to go out to eat, isn't it. So I ate at 'Global Fusion' (I totally love this place) on Saturday night and at our hole-in-the-wall local Chinese food joint  'Hungry Eyes' on Sunday afternoon. 

So Saturday night was an experience for the tastebuds, with baked prawns, oysters, pepper chicken, sweet-and-sour eggplant, chicken in thai red gravy, wontons, hot-and-sour soup, chinese greens, sushi, ginger chicken, crisp mushrooms, and whatever little pieces of heaven that hide in the wonderful place called 'Global Fusion'.

As if all that was not enough, it was 'Hungry Eyes' for lunch on Sunday. Ya, the name does sound a bit shady. The place itself is tiny with barely 6 tables and an AC. It is owned by a sweet Tibetan couple and earlier, even the staff was expat Tibetan. So chicken teppenyaki, burnt chilli pot rice, bamboo rice, crisp corn and water chestnuts, sigh...it was heaven all over again! Their food has always been very good (although lately, I've had a few complaints).

And yes, I confess I ate at the mall as well, on Saturday afternoon, which brings me to the topic of Food Court food in malls. I don't know about anyone else, but I've hardly ever come across great food at 'food courts', places that boast of an array of different kinds of food, all under one roof. Some of the food chains present at Infinity and Inorbit Malls are the worst. 

At Inorbit this weekend, I tried out 'Wraps and Rolls' or whatever 'mystifying' name that the chain has, in a quest to find a kathi roll. Ya, I know I should've stuck to Hangla's or Breadkraft in Lokhandwala, but what can I say. I'm a sucker for punishment, it seems. I ordered the 'Reshmi Chicken Tikka' roll, it was beyond horrible. The mint chutney seemed old, and the chapati they had used for the roll was uncooked and ancient. Uggh!

I also tried some Chinese food there (of course!). Lets just say that the 'Kung Pao Chicken' there had neither the 'kung' nor the 'POW'. There were no peanuts in it, no peanuts in a dish that by definition, needs to have peanuts. It was basically just seared chicken, floating in some ubiquitous red, 'chinese' gravy. Don't get me wrong. I adore Indian Chinese food, especially the Manchurian and Chow-Mien variety. But it definitely needs to be well cooked.

So this was the saga of the weekend that went. How was your weekend?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see your post. YAY!!

    I do agree with you on the poor quality of food served at the Food Courts in malls. I don't see anyone complaining about it. People seem to be ok with eating poor quality food at exorbitant rates. Wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Purple Haze. :) Thank you. Sorry about the MIA.
    Ya, the exorbitant rates, I forgot to mention! Its ridiculous how much you pay for ingesting such nasty stuff! I think we should start some kind of campaign against Food Court food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dangers of Over-cooking!

    I made a feast last weekend - Chettinad chicken, paalak paneer, chhole, makki ke daane, pulaav. And what I did not remember that a person can eat only so much. So, there is still a large heap of pulaav left and not to forget, 4 chickens' worth of chicken. Any ideas??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh...thats a LOT of food! The pulav can be eaten with various dals, raitas or pickles. The chicken you can shred and heat till the gravy dries up. You could either eat the dried chicken with parathas or you could make indian-style sandwiches with crusty bread, fresh lettuce, tomatoes and onions using the dry, shredded chicken.

    ReplyDelete