Thursday 20 October 2011

Ode to Sambar

Yes, that is correct! This really is an ode to the sambar I had last night. This piece of art was created by my husband from the humble torai (ridge gourd)! And I stood guard the entire time, my hawkish gaze never wavering from what he was doing. Barring a couple of differences from his usual sambar recipe, it seemed fairly simple. But the result was just beautiful. The sweeter flavours of the torai balanced the tamarind in the sambar perfectly, much more than the drum-sticks. I did notice, however, that he did not use any curry leaves and actually added hing to the tadka (something he never does). 

I'll definitely try to recreate this for my parents when I go home in November. My husband has also promised to make me some green beans sambar; he says that is delicious as well. Growing up in the North, the only sambar that I was exposed to was the one that my mother made (she learnt it from a Tam-Bram professor of hers). And she used to add a mixed assortment of veggies to it. So mixed vegetable sambar was how I always defined sambar. This is the first time when I've tried out individual vegetable sambars, and I really like them. I've tried palak sambar as well, and loved that one too. Now I want to try the sambhr made with baby onions.

2 comments:

  1. Good Work!I will definitely try the sambar, and hope it turns out as described.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Atul Please do try it, it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete