Saturday 21 July 2012

Books

Ok, so I'm the proud owner of two new books. These are special as they mark the beginning to my collection of books on food (hopefully). I don't mean recipe books; those I have a few of, and though I like reading the recipes and looking at their glossy pictures, I find I seldom make use of those recipes. 


I had ordered the first one, called Curry: A tale of cooks and conquerers by Lizzie Collingham, on a whim a few weeks back. I had been researching the origins of a specific dish when I had come across a listing of this book. It is basically a retracing of the history of all kinds of curries from the Indian sub-continent. The book also has very pretty illustrations and really old foodles-of-sorts (recipes in pictures). It promises to be an interesting and informative read.


Once I had my hands on this one, I got more greedy and looked around for something about the history of Indian food. But what I came across was this really interesting book, written in the 1880s by two English memsahibs - F.A. Steel and G. Gardiner. It is called The Complete Indian Housekeeper and Cook. This is more like a mirror to the British life during Raj, when English girls married to officers of the British Indian Army officers, would find themselves in an 'alien culture'. It is basically a 'British Memsahib and housekeeping 101', right from advice on 'duties of the mistress' to 'estimates of expenditure' to 'hints on breakfasts, dinners, luncheons, &c.' to 'advice to the cook'.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent review! I think both these books will give an insight of what people from other cultures think about us and our cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Atul Thank you! I'm glad you liked the review. I've started reading the Lizzie Collingham book and I'm really liking it so far.

    ReplyDelete