Thursday 21 June 2012

The vegetable that shall not be named

Disclaimer: Ok, I know for a fact that a LOT of people do not like Indian squashes like lauki, tinda or torai (bottle gourd, apple gourd or ridge gourd). I have discussed this dislike before in a couple of my posts. But I'm still going to go ahead and put up this recipe.

I actually like lauki; its become almost like a comfort food for me. I like how easy it is to cook, how it requires very little to taste good, how it can be paired equally well with chappatis, parathas or rice.

Ingredients

1/2 kg lauki, peeled and cubed small
1 tbsp ghee
4 tbsp yogurt, whipped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
6 cloves of garlic, minced
A pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste

Method:

1. Add the powders (turmeric, coriander and red chilli) to the yogurt and mix well until all the spices are blended completely in the yogurt. Keep aside for half an hour. Do not refrigerate.
2. Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker/pan. Add the asafoetida and cumin seeds. Let the cumin seeds splutter.
3. Lower the heat and add the yogurt-spice mix to pressure cooker/pan. Keep stirring the mixture until it reduces to a thick consistency and the ghee separates on the sides.
 4. Now add the cubed lauki. Add half of the minced garlic, and salt, and mix.
5. Add half a bowl of water and pressure cook.
6. Once the lauki is done, add the remaining minced garlic and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.

I like the lauki to be done to a slight mush. And I prefer to have it with rice and some kind of dal. This preparation tastes creamy, garlicky and the sweetness of the lauki is balanced by the yogurt perfectly.

P.S. I use the same yogurt-spice mix to cook lotus stems, and raw bananas. This mix is also a good base for this really yummy Marwari dish of badis cooked with  fresh green coriander.

2 comments:

  1. Good work! I wish you and other kids had said that about 20 back, it would have warmed the cockles of every parents' heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Atul hahaha, I know! but back then, the palate wasn't as refined.

    ReplyDelete