Wednesday 22 February 2012

Eggplants again!

Here we are again, with another eggplant recipe! Yes, I do know that I'm obsessed with eggplants and yes, the vegetable is not really well liked by a lot of people but somehow, I've always felt that the eggplant is grossly underestimated. Anyways, here is another recipe that my husband experimented with last night. 

Ingredients:

2 large eggplants (the bharta variety)
Half a small raw mango
5 cloves of garlic
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp coriander powder

Method:

1. Cut up the eggplant into long thin strips.
2. Peel and cut the raw mango into thin s.
3. Peel and slice the cloves of garlic.
4. In a bowl, mix the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt with some water.
5. Add the sliced eggplant to this and mix well. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
6. Heat EVOO in a large, non-stick skillet. Add sliced garlic. Saute for a few seconds.
7. Add the mango strips and saute for a minute.
8. Add the marinated eggplant to the skillet. Cook on low heat, uncovered, until the mixture dries up and the eggplant turns crunchy (but not burnt).

This is what it looked like in the end.



Serve this with hot rotis, raita and any dal. I had made kali masoor dal and boondi raita (what else! another obsession of mine) with this. I'm sure if slices of potatoes are added along with the eggplants, it would taste great. I'm still looking for an interesting name for this recipe, so suggestions are welcome.

Close up view

2 comments:

  1. I really want to eat these! I have tiny baby fresh eggplants in my fridge - please suggest a smashing recipie that I can achieve with local ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can cook the baby eggplants in some Thai red curry paste along with some beans and shredded cabbage and serve it with steamed jasmine rice. Or you could cook the eggplants with some onion-ginger-garlic masala, a tempering of curry leaves and mustard seeds, and tamarind paste. You could also add a bit of jaggery (if you have it at home) to make it into a sweet-and-sour sauce.

      Delete